Founded in 1934 on the outskirts of Rock Hill, South Carolina, Rock Hill Country Club was originally a public facility offering residents golf, swimming and fishing. Built using WPA funds during the height of the Great Depression, the original course was constructed across a former dairy farm using local labor and donated materials and equipment.
 
The original nine holes, now the club's front nine, were designed by famed golf course architect A.W. Tillinghast at the request of transplanted resident A.O. Joslin who had relocated from New York to build the famous Rock Hill Printing & Finishing Co. Tillinghast, who had already designed and built Winged Foot, Baltusrol, and Ridgewood CC, would soon begin construction of the Black Course at Bethpage State Park around this same time. Construction was supervised by Arthur Hamm, head professional at nearby Charlotte Country Club and a former field supervisor for architect Donald Ross, along with assistance from Charlie Reynolds, recognized as one of America's first golf professionals.

In 1949 the second nine holes, were designed and built by Hamm. In 1954 the club was made private and has remained so ever since.

Through the years, Rock Hill Country Club has served the area as a focal point for golf, community, politics and family life. Rock Hill Country Club will continue to serve its members well into the future just as it has for over 75 years.